Thursday, March 26, 2009

insomnia and a painting fiasco

So, it's 5:45 a.m. and I've been awake since 2:30.  And not even the "I'm soooo tired" awake, just plain wide awake.  Another fun part of being pregnant.  However, insomnia does give me a lot of time to think up some fabulous inventions.  Such as a nightstand-refrigerator.  Maybe we can call it a nighterator.  I think one of the main reasons I stay awake is because I'm starving and can't sleep with an empty stomach.  But all of the types of food that I crave in the night are of the refrigerated variety.  And when I wake up at 2:30, the last thing I want to do is crawl out of my warm bed and head downstairs to the kitchen.  But if my nightstand had a little refrigerated drawer, then I'd be all set!  The only problem then might be food-stained sheets.  I'm sure Chad would love to wake up in the morning to find his lovely wife with a chocolate-milk mustache, yogurt dripping off my chin, and cheese crumbles on the sheets.  Hopefully he'd still love me.

Another reason for my insomnia tonight (er... I mean this morning), may be due to the terrible bathroom-painting fiasco I had today (actually, yesterday now).  When we bought this house last year, our lovely master bathroom came complete with frogs all over the walls.  Well, Chad and I just aren't the frogs-in-the-bathroom type of people.  So, after a year of painting every other room in the house, we finally made it to our bathroom and decided to paint it a deep cranberry red.  I knew it would take several coats of paint since it was red, but 5 coats of paint later, (and still at least 1 more to go) that's not the least of my problems.  The first thing I noticed was that above the shower, the paint was cracking off in weird, streaked patterns.  This was a surprise since I had made sure to wash down the walls before starting.  I tried just adding more coats of paint, but that didn't help at all.  Next, I noticed that there's invisible caulking around the shower and sink that goes out about a 1/2 inch to an inch into the wall that resists paint, so I can't paint up to the shower or the vanity.  And then last, but definitely not least, where two of the frog paintings are (they're actually those wall-tattoo type things that you rub on), the dry-wall paper completely bubbled up.  That is definitely caused by those stupid frogs because when it first started, it perfectly outlined the "art" (and I'm using that term VERY loosely).  So when poor Chad got home, he didn't get the nice, "look at your new beautiful bathroom" surprise I was hoping for.  Instead he got the, "look at all the work you have to do to fix our bathroom" surprise.  So, to solve our problems, Chad has decided to put in small tiles around the shower area (to cover the cracked streaks), take the caulking off so I can paint and then re-caulk, and then we have no idea what to do with the two bubbled areas.  Possibly have to peel it off and spackle and repaint?  Ugh.  

So, a lesson I learned from all of this is to not buy those rub-on paint things.  They look neat, but trying to paint over them is horrendous!  Not only did a few somehow cause the wall to bubble up, but they also left a shiny outline of where they're hiding (and that's after first sanding them down a little and putting on 5 coats of paint)!  

Well, now that it's after 6, I guess maybe I'll just go and shower and start my day!

1 comment:

peter marie said...

What an annoying painting experience! I hope you find a good way to resolve it.

I also love the fridge idea. If I ever get pregnant again, I would totally buy it. Hope you get better sleep tonight....