Wednesday, January 13, 2010

stood up

Dear High School Girls,

Question for ya...  have you ever been stood up?  You know, you make a date with someone... maybe one of your girlfriends, or maybe a boy... and you pick out just the right outfit, pretty up your face with just the right blend of makeup and ready yourself for a fun time out with a friend?  Then you wait by your door or show up at your designated meeting spot and wait and wait and wait.  No one shows up.  You start to think, "Hmmm... they must be in a traffic jam or something because I'm sure they wouldn't just forget about our date..."  But as the minutes roll by, you realize that in this day of cellphones and texting, there's really no reason why they couldn't have contacted you by now.  Only then you realize... you have been STOOD UP.

Well, that's exactly what YOU did to me and two of my youth sponsor friends Saturday night!  Yes, you stood us up!  We got all dolled up, made babysitting arrangements and showed up at the mall only to wait by the fireplace for 30 minutes with no sign of you in sight!

I think I can understand though.  Were you afraid we would show up in our mom jeans and mall bangs and embarrass you in front of all your friends like these ladies?


Or maybe scared we would show up with our screaming kids

and ask you to watch them while we "ran some errands?"
(Although not a bad idea...)  *insert evil laughter here*

But in reality, we showed up looking HOT.  Like head-turning hot.  I wish we would've taken a picture of us 30-somethings (and almost 30-something), but since we didn't I found a picture that is pretty close.

Katie, Lydia, Amy

I mean, we looked so good that I swear we saw several other highschool mall girls looking at us longingly thinking, "If only we could hang out with cool moms like that.  I wish we had such awesome youth sponsors that cared about us as much as those fashionistas care about their youth girls.  sigh."

But honestly, we're not all that bitter.  Believe it or not, as much as we missed you, old mamas like us still know how to have fun even without you young'uns.  I even scored a smashing pair of purple faux-croc sling-back heels for only $5!  Pretty sure I won the contest we were having on finding the best $5 deal - which you could've been a part of if you would have shown up.  You missed out on an amazing prize from Amy.  But you wouldn't know... since obviously you weren't there.

Okay, so I'm being a little harsh, I know.  Especially since several of you did have actual excuses - like cheerleading, family plans, yadda, yadda, yadda.

But it's only because we missed you.

We really do enjoy spending time with you.

Even if you do embarrass us.

Love,
me

9 comments:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

been there....done that. I was not as gracious as you. NOT one of my finer adult moments. HOWEVER, it is a little different when you are lied to about being stood up.

Amy V said...

Katie, you crack me up!!!!! Oh, and I want that pair of $5 shoes you found. Those sound awesome!~Amy Valentine

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Oh Katie...you make me laugh -- and for the record, OF COURSE YOU LOOK JUST LIKE VICTORIA BECKHAM! Except you actually smile every once in awhile ;)

Jenny said...

If only I had known...I'd have been on it like bark on a tree. (Thanks for the best - only - belly laugh I had all day!)

Amy Kramer said...

C.A.N.'T. S.T.O.P. L.A.U.G.H.I.N.G.!!!!! :)

The Sneaky Mommy said...

I'm more crushed that you got stood up three blocks from my house and didn't call me to come join you...just kidding! Although, I'm always up for bargain hunting and eyebrow threading!

Emily said...

Oh my! If only those girls knew how lucky they were! Of course, most likely they *will* realize it someday...and then you'll have your revenge.

Sarah said...

Haha - Katie...hilarious. :) And - pssshhhya! You were so HOT! :) Esp. w/ that Audrey Hepburn style you had goin' on! ;)

Liss said...

Sounds like some very committed caring youth sponsors!!! =)