Tuesday, October 20, 2009

family fun

Last night we were blessed with a visit from these guys:

This is Chad's Aunt Angie, Uncle Tim and cousin Ben from Michigan.  They were on their way back from Colorado, so they decided to stop in and see us for a short while and we're really glad they did!  They are such a great family and we had a good time with them, although it was way too short!


Seeing them made me miss their daughter, Betsy, who is now living in Paris.  I actually live vicariously through her on her blog, Qu'est-ce que c'est? (which means "what's that?")  For those of you who don't know, I was a French teacher before being a stay-at-home mom and yearn to go back to France someday.  Betsy is an "au pair" (or nanny) for a family in Paris, which would be my dream job if I were single.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I want to be single again, I LOVE being married to Chad and being a mommy.  I'm just saying that if I never would've met Chad (which I'm EXTREMELY glad that I did), being a nanny in Paris would be awesome.

Of course, thinking of Betsy also made me remember the fun times we had at Mardi Gras back in 2003.  I don't know how many times we were mistaken for sisters.  I'll take that as a complement.  Chad's parents live outside New Orleans, and one year Chad's spring break was the same week as Mardi Gras, so we got to "Laissez les bons temps rouler!"  Enjoy these old Mardi Gras photos!  (Hope you don't mind, Betsy!  Even if you do, it's too late now... I don't know how to delete pictures...)

And no, I promise you that we did NOTHING immoral to get these beads!  I guess we're just so stinkin' cool that they couldn't help but throw them to us.  :)

Chad's brother Mark came down too.  And Chad's dad even got into the fun by dressing all crazy.  (He had his heart boxers on over his pants)...  I'm sure he'll love knowing I put this on the internet for the whole world to see.


Au revoir!


7 comments:

Qu'est-ce que c'est? said...

:) Awww Katie! What a nice blog. I'm glad my family was able to see you on their way through. I just talked to them and they said they had a very nice visit. Tate is gonna be so big before I get to see him! Thank goodness you post pictures.

By the way, as always, I love the Mardi Gras pictures. That was such a fun trip. I miss you...Paris misses you. I would love to go to Paris with you someday (of course not for a while)...maybe when we're old and retired and have lots of rainy-day money laying around (I can only hope I ever have money laying around). Love you!!!

Unknown said...

Un jour....je voyagerais...a Paris...a Nice...au Sud France...mon mari a habite' la-bas pour trois mois...je suis SI jalouse!!

(Hey Teach - did I spell all that right? Slaughter the grammar?)

Unknown said...

Oh my word...that last comment? That was me - JENNY - NOT MATT!!!! My husband does NOT have "un mari." I must've picked up his computer instead of mine...

une autre mère said...

Betsy - Yes, someday when we both have all of our rainy-day money laying around we will definitely vacation together in Paris! Maybe we can even wear our Mardi Gras beads just for fun... or not. But I'm glad to hear that Paris misses me. Love you too, and your blog! :)

And "Matthew" (Jenny)- I was so glad to see your second comment explaining who this strange man was reading my blog... And I am super impressed with your French! I had no idea you were a francophone! Does Matt speak it too?

Sarah said...

Hahah...ok, so that phrase you used at the end...I ALWAYS say that wrong...it's like, I know it when I hear it, and all of a sudden, when I see it I'm SOOO stinkin' confused...the same for those little appetizers in french...I can't spell it right, oreduerves...whatever. As soon as I see it, I can't say it!

About Josefine's li'l pea outfit...sad, someone loaned it to us for a bit, so we don't have it anymore! :( That would have been so cute to get a Tate and Josefine pic! She has a Tiger suit, though... :)

une autre mère said...

Okay Sarah, to help you out... "Au revoir" is pronounced "ohr-vwar" when said quickly. Well, kind of... it's hard to write the "french-accenty" party.

And just to throw in some more french knowledge for you (because I'm sure you want it), "hors d'oeuvres" literally means "outside of (hors) the meal (oeuvre)." "Oeuvre" actually means a work of art. Isn't that interesting that they also use it for a meal? I wish all my meals were "oeuvres."

Now, go, share your newfound knowledge. :)

Jenny said...

Yes, Matt speaks some French, but not a ton. I minored in it in college, but have only had two opportunities to really practice it with patients (should've learned Spanish, really). One of them said, though, "You have a perfect Parisian accent!" Made me kind of proud. :)

And thank you for explaining hors d'oeuvres! I always wondered. I knew that "oeuvre" meant "masterpiece" or something like that, but couldn't draw the connection. I am pleasantly educated now.