Friday, October 1, 2010

for my sadistic friends

Yes, you know who you are.
Those of you who openly admitted to laughing out loud at my birthday story, which involved painfully embarrassing public displays.

Well, after my trip to the doctor's office yesterday, I figured some of you with a tendency for sadism might enjoy hearing about my painful experience.  So, here you go (you sick, sick people):

Millie and Tate were a month overdue for their well-baby checkups.  So after picking Addie up from school, we headed over to the doctor's office for our 3:45 appointment.  After Addie got out of the car, she bent over to fix something on her shoe and as she stood up, I heard the sickening sound of skull striking metal.  Yes, she banged her head on the edge of the car door.  So, of course, and rightfully so, she burst out into a torrent of tears and sobs.  My heart broke for her, but I didn't know what to do - we had to get to our appointments. As I bent down to console her, Tate (whom I was holding) got a handful of her hair in his little hand and pulled.  That brought on more tears from big sister and then tears from Tate after mommy told him NO.

So, I entered the doctor's office with one girl crying uncontrollably from a big boo-boo on her head and a baby crying angrily at mama.  Millie was the only normal looking one among us.  Needless to say, we were quite a sight (especially since Addie had spilled ketchup on her white shirt and skirt at lunch so it looked like she had blood dripping all over).  I asked the receptionist for an ice-pack (which they had to hunt down)... apparently doctor's offices aren't emergency rooms and therefore aren't well-equipped with first aid supplies.  After 30 seconds of the ice pack (which had created such a fuss), Addie decided she was better so I had to sheepishly hand it back to the receptionist with an apologetic shrug.

Here we were, waiting happily in the play area of the waiting room (despite occasional screams from Millie accusing Tate of destroying her Lego creations) and right on time.  Things were going just fine.  For the first 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes of playing mostly peacefully, Tate decided he was bored and started hollering (have you heard this baby holler?  It's ridiculously loud... really) for mommy to hold him.  And of course, as soon as I would pick him up, he would wiggle out of my arms to sit at my feet and holler for me to pick him up again.  I know you ladies who watch him in the church nursery know what I'm talking about!  This went on for another 40 minutes.  Yes, we sat in the waiting room for an hour!  With many apologies from the receptionists of course... especially when they saw (and heard) my constant struggle with Tate.

Finally, an angel appeared the nurse came and called us back to get the standard weight and height checks and then led us into a tiny little room made to hold 2 adults and 1 child.  However, we were somehow going to squeeze 3-4 adults and 3 children in there. (The doctor had an intern with her and the nurse was in and out quite often.)  I think I may have heard about 1/4 of what the doctor was telling me since Tate was either hollering in my ear most of the time or I was trying to keep him from tearing up the paper books. (Seriously, why are there paper books in a pediatric check-up room?)  Then he discovered the doctor's tools hanging on the wall and started pulling all of those down.  Fabulous. I'm pretty sure the intern decided right then and there that she would never have children.

So... after enduring the check-up parts of the kids' appointments (which, I must say, Tate was awfully cute when we laid him on the table, giggling uncontrollably every time the doctor touched him), Millie suddenly burst out in a shaky little voice, "Mommy, I'm peeing!!"  And yup, she sure was. Pee was streaming out from under her skirt and splashing all over the berber carpet.  But you can't really blame her - by this point, we'd been at the doctor's office for nearly 2 hours!  Thankfully, the doctor (who is definitely a saint), assured me it was no problem and she even took Tate for me and walked him around so I could help Millie get cleaned up.  And, unlike the last time this happened (check the link at the top of this post), we actually had a change of clothes with us.  Phew.  Mishap taken care of.  Little girl all dry.

The appointment ended with their shots - which Millie endured with barely a flinch and no tears at all!  And Tate... well, the poor baby didn't know what was coming, so of course he was pretty upset.  I didn't even bother putting his pants back on since he was such a wreck.

By the time we left the office, it was 6:00!  That's right.  We were there for 2 hours and 15 minutes!  Needless to say, we were by far the last ones in the office besides the receptionist (who was probably cursing us under her breath).  By the time we got home, the chicken soup I had in the crockpot for dinner was overdone and we had chewy chicken soup for dinner.  Super.

But you know, even after an appointment like this, I left feeling very blessed, knowing that all 3 of our children are healthy.  I know sick children that have to endure much longer appointments and even stays in the hospital.  So, trust me... I'm not complaining.  Just sharing a little of my Thursday afternoon excitement.  ;)


kasey. said...

oh my word...i used to laugh at stories like this, but now that i have two boys of my own and a baby i take care of i want to cry with you!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Oh, you poor thing...I promise I didn't laugh because I know this is probably going to be me in a a few years...and side note -- we must have been at Dr. Carlson's on the same day -- Lily had her well baby check on Wed. and we were there for well over 2 hours -- she said she was running way behind, and she had an intern with her too. Too bad we weren't there at the same time or maybe I could've held Tate for you :)

Sarah said...

Katie...I'm dying here! Wish I could have been there to give you a helping hand! Of course, not sure I would be helping by adding another 1 yr old to the mix! Haha! Oh...poor Addie...poor Tate...poor Millie...what a day for all of them...then, poor you, of course...CHEWY chicken soup?!

And like the other girls...I can't promise I didn't told it sooo hilariously! So, I'm not laughing at your misfortune, per se. ;)

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Oh NOOOO! Those trips seriously wear a mama out! I'm so sorry it was such a long appointment! We've endured several of those!

Lenae said...

Oh my... Well, this made me HURT, I was laughing so hard while reading it. It also made my brain hurt because, sister? I have been in sticky situations such as this and they are NOT fun.

Just think... Someday our children will be old enough to sit quietly next to us and peruse Reader's Digest while they wait to see the doctor. Amazing thought, isn't it? ;)

H-Mama said...

Bless your heart! Seriously, those moments are hard on a mama's heart. Not laughin'. Promise. I remember those days of trying to entertain little ones... Now mine are grown, sitting next to me. Yes, it does happen. ;) ((((hugs))))