Tuesday, August 25, 2009

little man Tate

Tate Jameson Brooks is here!
Born: August 24 at 12:56 p.m.
Weight: 7 lbs, 9 oz.
Length: 19 1/2 inches long

Here's how it all went down... Monday morning we brought the girls to my brother Trent and Lydia's house so my mom could be there with us for the labor and delivery. I needed another cheerleader! :) We got to the hospital at 7:30 and waited for the doctor to get there from another hospital. When she arrived at 9:15 she attempted to break my water, but after several attempts she realized it was too tough. So she put a monitor on a baby's head which made a tiny whole in the sack causing water to leak slowly out. It took about an hour and a half for my water to finally start gushing out! I was able to get an epidural which was INCREDIBLE!!! I was able to feel the pressure during contractions, but not the pain, so that was amazing. They did give me a little bit of pitocin to speed up the process since I couldn't feel the pain anyways and the doctor was holding off on a c-section at another hospital until she could deliver my baby. At about 12:40ish I felt the urge to push, and after about 15 minutes of pushing, baby Tate was here!!! I did feel quite a bit of pain during the pushing, but it was still tons better than the pain I felt with the last two! I LOVED being induced and wish my other labors would've been so calm! :) Plus, the doctor I had - Fahnlander - was wonderful and so were the nurses. They made the experience very enjoyable!

One thing that was kinda funny was that when the doctor was trying to break my water, she said Tate's hand was above his head trying to grab her hand. It was funny at the time, but when I asked her what would happen if his hand stayed there, she said it would be a complicated delivery and make it harder to push him out. Fortunately, he did move his hand, but he only moved it down as far as his shoulder, so after pushing his head out, I still had quite a hard time pushing his shoulders out with his little hand there.

We came home yesterday afternoon and the girls have LOVED having him home. They want to be with him and hold him all the time. It'll be kinda nice when the novelty of having a new baby in the house wears off. :) He's usually pretty calm, but last night was rough. He really likes to eat and wanted to eat at least every 2 hours and sometimes sooner. So that's gonna have to stop! I think the problem is that at night he's so tired that I can't get him to finish a complete feeding, so he's hungry sooner. Tonight I will just force him to eat a full meal each time so he won't be so hungry.

It's great having mom here this week. She leaves on Saturday and then Chad's mom will come for the next week. I don't know what I'd do without them! Especially if the nights continue to be so rough!


Mama Foster said...

he is so cute! congrats again katie!

thanks for sharing your story! hope the night feedings get better for you soon...i know the feeling!

peter marie said...

Great pictures! He is seriously the cutest little boy. Oh, so sweet! Your family looks complete. :)

I hope the nights get better. Those first nights at home seem to be the roughest one...hopefully that's the case for Tate too.

Can't wait to see him again! Hope everything is going well and that you're recovering well too. Take advantage of the moms being there and take it easy!!

Anonymous said...

absolutely adorable. I'm glad it was easier and more calm for you this time!
Just curious if you got away without that green paci?!!!

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Katie--I know it's not cool to call boys beautiful, but Tate seriously is perfect! :) I keep trying to remember how sweet it was to hold him...better keep getting my baby fixes! Hope the nights will go more smoothly! Glad you have help!

Amy said...

Katie, he's adorable!

Congratulations! I'm so glad you were able to get an epidural and had such a great delivery! Praying for you at night -- wasn't too long ago we were in the same boat so I feel your pain! I left you a message on your cell too, I'd like to bring you guys a meal sometime so let me know when it'd be good for you!

Get some sleep....yeah, right ;)

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Katie...he is soooo cute. I know I told you that on FB, but I'm serious. He.is.so.cute.
I am so glad induction went so well for you! Mine wasn't horrible, but I prefer my twin birth over my single birth, hands down.
Glad you're feeling well! Get some rest!!!