Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Millie's got glasses!

My baby girl's got glasses!

At Millie's 4 year well-child visit a few weeks ago, she pretty much bombed the eye chart.  Especially when her left eye was covered.  So we took her to the Children's Eye Clinic and they found that she has a pretty strong astigmatism in her right eye.  So she gets to wear glasses!  :) 


 We wanted her to really love her glasses, so we let her choose the ones she liked the most (from the cheap rack, of course!).  The optician called these "pink and purple," although the purple is really really dark, so it looks almost black and the only pink is on the edges.  But she fell in love with them, even liked them more than the all-pink ones, so we got them!


We just got them yesterday morning and then spent a few hours at the mall where she got compliments in nearly every store we visited.  So that really helped her feel more confident in them.  It was pretty strange for her yesterday to adjust to her new vision, but today she's starting to realize that she can actually see more clearly with them on.  

I think the hardest adjustment has actually been on my part.  It hit me pretty hard yesterday that this is how I will see Millie from now on ... the glasses causing her baby face to appear more grown up.  I totally wasn't prepared for that.  But she's definitely liking that part of it.  Always eager to grow up. 

Now we're just hoping that her glasses stay intact.  With all her wrestling around with Tate and Odie, doing somersaults all around the floor, diving into her bed, etc... I'll be shocked if these last 6 months!  :) 

6 comments:

Lenae said...

Oh, she looks adorable! But it would definitely be a transition for my mommy-heart too. I wish I could give you hope about her keeping them intact, but I had glasses growing up... and I broke them constantly. My poor mom had to resort to tape from time to time :D

Julie said...

She is absolutely darling! She does look very grown up though....I feel your pain, these babies just grow way too fast! :)

peter marie said...

She looks adorable!!

Unknown said...

Just when I think Mille can't get any stinking cuter......

H-Mama said...

adorable, indeed. thank god you guys caught it so early. took me longer with my oldest... made me feel so bad that she couldn't see well... and i was clueless. you're a good mama!! :)

Jenn said...

Very cute choice, they already look like they belong on her! They do make her look older, at first glance I thought it was Addie, I hadn't read the title. It's exciting to see the next phase, but I long for them to stay little forever!